Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

So the schedule this week is a little thrown off since my little sister Jamie is staying with us while our parent's enjoy an Aruba vacation! Monday's run went great though. 5/1 x 4 was the longest stretch of running I've had to do on this program. Again the hardest part is knowing that just a few short months ago I was running 3 miles with no problems ( I will get back there and running even more!). After the run, Jamie and I whipped up a yummy stir fry, minus the rice since apparently I can mess up rice even when it's done in a rice cooker. It still amazes me how much energy I have and how great I feel after a run, it sure does suck while doing it though!

Yesterday however was a day full of excuses. My scheduled run was 4/1 x 5 and the entire day was thrown off. Jamie's school starts at a ridiculously early time so we have to be out of the house by 7 am which throws off any chance of a morning run because let's be serious, I'm not getting up at 5:30 am when it's only 30 degrees outside! After dropping Jamie off at school I headed up to Grand Rapids for some meetings. The hope was that my meetings would be done and I could get home in time to get my run in before heading to Jamie's first Varsity soccer scrimmage (insert a little bragging, my amazing little sister is 1 of 2 freshmen to make the Varsity soccer team and not only did she start last night but she played the ENTIRE game! GO Little J!) Well my meetings went long and I didn't have time to run before heading to Jamie's game. So Jamie's scrimmage started at 6:45 and didn't get over until about 8:30. We grabbed some dinner on the way home and made it home about 9:00. Now here comes the excuses...
  • I was exhausted and the last thing I wanted to do was go for a run
  • I hadn't eaten dinner yet
  • I was already freezing after sitting outside for 2 hours
  • It was super dark and I apparently think their is an ax murderer running around our nice, cozy subdivision

Now this is usually when I would throw in the towel and say "well I can always do it tomorrow". But somehow I overcame the usual excuses last night and went out and got my run done! It was a bit of a tougher run since I altered my course (due to the neighborhood ax murderer of course) and ran some different trails that were somewhat well lit. This involved more of a hilly run though and though there were times I wanted to stop and walk I didn't do it. I finished the run and felt awesome knowing that this was another big step for me! I officially have 2 more runs to go on the 3 week plan. No official run tonight but I will be sweating my guts out on the soccer field!

Oh and I have to give special thanks to my dog Oliver for pulling me up some of those hills last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment