Monday, March 22, 2010

In search of the runner's high....

So i've decided that it's high time I lace up the "tennis shoes" and turn them in to running shoes. Running has always been something I've kind of despised. I'm not sure if it's because I have crazy short legs, don't have a runner's "physique" or if I am just lazy. Whichever one it is it's time for me to overcome it. Here are a few reason's I think it's important for me to do this....

  • It's good for me
  • It's good for the dog
  • I can run anywhere (and with all of the traveling I tend to do it may make sticking to an exercise program easier)
  • It makes me feel good
  • I've always wanted to be able to say "I'm a runner"

A couple of weeks I started a running program "3 weeks to a 30 minute running habit" and I am successfuly two weeks in (minus a day off due to nasy Michigan weather and possibly another day off due to drinking festivities in Chicago) It's been a great starting point for me since every day my run is e-mailed to me and it slowly works you in to a running habit. I've always failed in the past because I've wanted to do too much too quickly and have always felt like "I'm Young, I'm healthy, I should just be able to go run for 30 minutes".

In this program you slowly work your way up by doing a series of run/walk intervals. Not only is this a great way to build endurance but interval training also shreds calories...also another perk of running!

So anyway I decided it's high time I use my blog as a platform for my "running and working out" excursions. I'm hoping this will be a good way to keep me accountable to myself. I hope I don't bore anyone to much with my crazy complaints or stories of success as I make my way through this!

Tonight's run....after a nice warm up, run 5 minutes/walk 1 minute x 4= 24 minutes of actual run time. 30 minutes here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment