Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring has Sprung

Last week was a pretty great week. We had gorgeous weather, minus some crazy strong storms earlier in the week that left the area with quite a bit of damage, luckily not our house! After my iffy run on Monday I took a rest day on Wednesday and headed to my soccer game on Wednesday. It proved to be another great workout and it is interesting to count the bruises after those games.

After the poor run on Monday I was pretty nervous/anxious to get my Thursday run out of the way. It was a repeat of Monday's run (7/1 x 4) and knowing how much I struggled then I really didn't want to struggle with Thursday's. I didn't have to worry because that run was great! I'm still getting some cramping but it wasn't nearly as bad as Monday's. I think that the weekend festivities in Milwaukee definitely played a part in the poor run, I'm thinking that I must have been dehydrated. I had a ton of water on Monday but after the lack of water and excess beer over a two day period I think the beer won out!

Friday was a rest day and Saturday was the big finale for week 2 of 5 k training. We had a gorgeous weekend weather wise and Saturday afternoon I headed out for my run in the 75 degree sunshine and insanely windy weather. Saturday's run was 8/1 x 4, another step up, and I got through the first 8 minute stretch okay. I was running straight in to the wind and was so unbelievably hot. The next 8 minute stretch came and I made it to minute 3 and then I did what I normally do when trying to start a running program, I quit. The entire walk home I kept kicking myself and was just so angry that I gave up so easily. By the time I got home I was almost in tears because I was so mad at myself. I started stretching and complaining and this is where my husband stepped in to kick me in my butt. He told me to rest for a little bit, drink some more water and after about an hour he grabbed his running shoes and out the door we went. I'm super happy to say that thanks to him I finished my run and with barely any cramping. It was an AWESOME run and I can't thank Dale enough for pushing me to do it and for making me feel great while doing it. I seriously have an amazing, supportive husband!

Bring on week 3! This weeks runs are 9/1 x 3, 10/1 x 3, 11/1 x 3 and of course 45 minutes of cross training!

No comments:

Post a Comment