Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Who knew...

shoes could be the latest attacker on my morale. You may remember a few weeks ago I posted about how excited I was about my new Brooks Ghost 3's. I was really looking forward to running in them and couldn't wait to lace them up. Then I was hit with Bronchitis and sidelined for a bit. During my bout with bronchitis I did a couple very slow, controlled, treadmill runs and thought that my new shoes were great. After a few days off I took it out on the road and oh holy hell shin splints like no other. After about .5 mile I was in excrutiating pain to the point that I limped home crying to my husband. I thought it may have just been that I needed to break in the shoes so I took them out for a couple more painful runs. Finally I couldn't take it anymore and I went back to the running store that fitted me in those shoes. They were awesome and told me to try another version of Brooks with a little more support. After 45 minutes of awesomeness I walked out the door with my brand new shoes excited about using them on my 8 mile run Saturday. Disaster strikes again. As I'm out with my sister in law (who is running the 1/2 with me) she notices how flat footed I am running. (actually I sounded more like a fat out of shape horse "clomp, clomp, clomp") and I literally couldn't bend my foot upward. There was no "heel to toe" running motion coming from me. I told her to run ahead so she could get her mileage in for the day and I slowly somehow think I managed to get through 10K instead of the 14K we were supposed to run. After that I run I knew it had to be something with the Brooks line that just didn't work for my feet. Off to the running store I go again. This time however I find out that the new Brooks shoes I had been buying were less of a shoe than what I was used to running in (that would have been nice to know before!). So I here I am with a new pair of Nike Lunar Glides hoping that this is the end of my shin pain.

Unfortunately I'm now in a very bad place with running. The 1/2 is just over 6 weeks away and the longest mileage I've put up is 7 miles. I'm in no means trying to run a fast race at all but I just want to finish it and after the last few weeks of on again off again running I feel completely overwhelmed and under prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment